The GCM banking internship is an opportunity to kickstart your career in one of Canada’s best banks. This a crucial program that can heavily advance your career.
It is among the highly sought-after internships in Canada; therefore, the recruiting process may be challenging. Shortlisted candidates are entitled to a comprehensive benefit package and professional coaching opportunities.
However, working in the Global Bank and Markets team requires the right attitude and passion. This is because this role entails sensitive responsibilities and relationships. This article highlights these duties.
About Scotia Bank
The Bank of Nova Scotia, now Scotia Bank, was founded in 1832 in Toronto, Ontario. It is one of the big five banks in Canada.
They offer their customers innovative financial solutions and services as a reputable financial institution. They also provide a broad range of financial products to help customers.
Scotia Bank’s services comprise wealth management, personal and commercial banking, capital markets, and corporate and investment banking.
Overview of GCM banking internship
Scotia Bank’s undergraduate training program focuses on raising innovative individuals who can enhance customer experience. To this end, they create an inclusive and accessible workplace to encourage students to contribute their skills.
Interns will be expected to manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Therefore, the ability to multitask and deliver under pressure is a prerequisite for this role. Applicants must be highly professional and efficient team players who can adjust to foreign conditions,
Through the GCM banking internship, you will have access to senior leadership in the bank. This connection will add to your professional success in the banking industry. To benefit from this training, interns must have a keen interest in acquiring knowledge in the banking field.
Also Read: 4 Top Banking jobs in Canada in 2024
The responsibilities of a GCM banking intern
- Support new client business by scrutinizing financial information, investment strategies, and counterparty risk profiles.
- Access to skill-building modules and challenging tasks in an enabling environment
- Participate in organizing and maintaining executive summary and risk summary reports for the GCM banking portfolio.
- Field training and exposure to different sides of the derivative, fixed income, commodity, foreign exchange, and GBM equity business.
- Preparation of summary charts/ tables for credit submissions
- Support the GCM banking group with credit-related requests that cover client due diligence, industry, financial, and regulatory analysis.
- Collaborate with the global management team and other GBM business teams.
Eligibility criteria for a GCM banking internship
- You are currently acquiring a post-secondary qualification.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Enjoys extracurricular activities
- Strong attention to detail is a must
- Excellent academic record and extracurricular accomplishment
- Interest in Global Capital Markets
- Problem-solving and analytical skills
Benefits of a GCM banking internship
- Exclusive student events
- Work exposure
- On-the-job training
- Bank-wide orientation
Location: Toronto, Canada
Duration: Four months
Application deadline: January 26, 2024.
How to Apply
- Register a plum profile through the Scotia Bank career website and save it as a screenshot.
- Upload a short one-way video interview
- Submit the screenshot when the application asks for your resume and apply.
- Prepare for an interview
Frequently Asked Questions on GCM Banking Internship
Can I upload my resume during the application process?
No. Candidates must upload a screenshot of their plum profile instead of a resume.
When should I expect feedback from the recruitment team?
For this program, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Can students in Canada find internship programs like this?
Yes. You can start by exploring the internship opportunities in Canada here.
In summary, being a part of the GCM banking internship allows you to gain exposure, develop yourself, and earn simultaneously.