The University of Pretoria Veterinary internship is a program that allows you to put into practice your veterinary education knowledge and discover career potential in an academic environment. An internship in a high-ranking research university such as UP offers an excellent chance to expand your knowledge. It also helps you gain a competitive advantage in the work world.
While pursuing this internship is necessary, ensuring you are eligible to carry out the responsibilities that follow this position is even more important. Candidates must therefore have a registration under SAVC to be able to provide clinical services during this program.
If you meet the minimum requirements, this internship will provide valuable insight and in-depth knowledge of your career path.
About the University of Pretoria
The University of Pretoria is a leading public research university established in 1980. It is located in Pretoria, South Africa. Apart from its research facilities, UP offers quality education and a conducive learning environment for students.
In addition to a prestigious business school, the university has nine faculties, including South Africa’s only Faculty of Veterinary Science. UP has over 500,000 graduates who actively contribute to South Africa’s development. An internship in this unique faculty means a rare opportunity to grow in an academic environment.
Overview of the University of Pretoria Veterinary internship
From early on, interns will experience and study small animals, equine, and other production animals. For junior veterinarians, this program eases their journey to specialization. You get to test the waters and identify the best field to specialize in.
Also, interns will get a hands-on opportunity to learn from Veterinary specialists, handle challenging cases, and expand their knowledge of veterinary medicine.
Read Also: Manufacturing Process Engineering Internship
Responsibilities of the University of Pretoria Veterinary Internship interns
- Participants of the University of Pretoria internship will not only provide clinical services but also handle several functions to fast-track their learning and gain exposure. Some of these functions are;
- Getting a proper orientation of the research necessities for the MMedVet program by conducting clinical rounds and other research activities.
- Administer clinical services and assist with administrative tasks within various departments of the Onderstepoor Veterinary Hospital (OVAH) under the guidance of faculty specialists.
- Assist with students’ mentorship to aid your non-clinical development.
- Engage in extracurricular clinical programs for community enlightenment in trauma and community medicine at OVAH and other satellite facilities.
- Take part in coaching undergraduate veterinary and nursing veterinary students. Also, oversee all clinical processes.
What qualifies you to be a the University of Pretoria Veterinary intern?
- Authorized clinical competence
- Requisite understanding of the position
- Must have a BVsc-degree, BVMCh, or any other professional veterinary qualifications
- A veterinarian with a SAVC registration
Professional competencies required
- Relevant language and communication skills.
- Excellent relational skills
- Computer literate with a knowledge of the internet, Windows, and MS Office.
- Available to work overtime.
Benefits of the University of Pretoria Veterinary internship
- Salary: R318,114 per annum
- Career insight
- Professional development
Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Duration: 12 months
Application deadline: August 13, 2023.
Read Also: RCL Foods Internship
How to apply
- Submit your application through the University’s website and quote the reference number for this position.
- Attach the following documents;
- A comprehensive CV
- A letter sequentially specifying your choice of clinics
- Valid copies of your certifications and SAVC registration
- Contact information of three admissible references
Frequently asked questions on the University of Pretoria Veterinary internship
How long does the hiring process for this internship take?
The hiring process of the The University of Pretoria Veterinary Internship takes about five weeks to finalize.
How do I know my application is successful?
You will receive a confirmation message from the recruiting team. However, you should regard your application as unsuccessful if you get no response by October 31, 2023.
In general, the University of Pretoria Veterinary internship allows you to contribute your knowledge to the faculty of veterinary science. Participants will have a strong reference for future opportunities and essential work experience in veterinary medicine.